2012年2月4日星期六

The Horse Country

I drove from Sydney to Tamworth the third time last week. The distance was 400 odd km. Though tiring for the 5 hours' drive, I could still manage at this age. On my way, I stopped at Scone, the horse country, to find a loo to obey the call of nature. There was a Visitors' Information Centre. I walked past 2 signs apparent to me where the loo was supposed to be. One said "Colts" and the other "Fillies". I was unsure which was which though guessing that the "f" one should be for females. On the side of caution I walked into the centre to grab a map and asked the lady for the loo. She told me to go outside and find the one with "Colts" on the door. "Colts" are male horses. I then told her people like me who were not well conversant with English and the horse language wouldn't know. She said that was why people went in to ask. Next time, when you visit Scone, you will be smarterer than me if you are not already.

6 則留言:

  1. Hi Uncle,

    Haha, good little advice! I had no idea what the two words were either!

    Stay safe!
    Joe

    回覆刪除
  2. Hi Joe,

    Thank you for reading. Now I know I am not the only person who does not know the words.

    Bill

    回覆刪除
  3. When in doubt, remember colt = gun = macho = man...

    Just kidding.

    回覆刪除
  4. Good point. When Samuel Colt invented the revolver in the 18th century, this Colt is different from that colt etymologically. But the association you suggested is logical.

    Bill

    回覆刪除
  5. Dear Bill
    We learn something new everyday.
    But from my memory, this was General Knowledge when my kids were in primary school. Our whole family were struggling with all these vocabularies.
    Small mountain

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Small mountain

      I cannot agree more. We are never too old to learn something new. I do not remember what I learned in my primary to uni schooling nor do I remember what I forgot.

      Bill

      刪除