2011年5月27日星期五

Colin Mackintosh

I am not good enough to write a eulogy for Colin Mackintosh but I do remember him all the time. His early demise is a big loss to the Hong Kong Judiciary and a bigger loss to his good friends. I can only paste his letter here to remember him and to sigh for the fugacious life.

麥健濤法官臨終致謝信

A Note of Thanks

I hope that if there is any gathering here in Hong Kong following my demise, that it is in the form of a Thanksgiving rather than a memorial. We must all come to death in the end and it is Thanksgiving that matters most.

In my case it is a question of thanking you. Thanking you from deep in my heart for your contributions to my life, for making my life in Hong Kong the joy it has been. So if any of you have any tears, wipe them away.

I have been so privileged to have lived 20 years of my life in Hong Kong. I loved being a magistrate, surely the best job in the Judiciary; I loved the District Court. I was honoured and privileged to have been appointed to the Court of First Instance. I have been so lucky to have worked with so many wonderful people, magistates and judges, and support staff at every level. My clerks, my interpreters, my ushers, my office staff: you gave all contributed day in and day out to my happiness and I thank you for it.

I have made so many good and dear friends here in Hong Kong. Some of you in particular have been so special to me that I feel, as I write this note, that it will be a question of me losing you rather than you losing me. I have loved this place and I have loved you. You have truly enriched my life. You have, individually and collectively brought me fulfillment. What can be a greater tribute than to know that I am a better person for having known each and everyone of you. Please do not weep at my passing: just be thankful for my life.

All I ask you is that you do not forget me, at least, not too quickly. Remember me in your thoughts and prayers, tell stories about me sometimes and laugh about me; and I ask you to accept my thanks in good heart.

Of course I have some very special friends, including some from my old chambers in England and others whom I have met here, to whom I know that my departure will bring some great sadness; but do not despair, never despair. The miracle of life is a circle of birth and death: it always has been and always will be. What we have do is make the most of the time we are given; and I believe that Hong Kong enabled me to do that and I give thanks for it.

If I have offended any of you either in my judicial capacity or otherwise, then I ask for forgiveness. I am not perfect: I know that best of all. Let me tell you though, that upon reaching the pearly gates(天國之 門), if I'm lucky enough to get there, I shall ask for a voir dire before any judgement is made in my life. I will maintain that I was never properly cautioned.

Please go from here in good heart and make the most of life. I do feel I have been snatched from it slightly early, well, earlier than I and my beloved wife Jani had planned. I feel that I had more to do, more to achieve in life; more to do as a judge, as a husband and father, and hopefully as a grandfather, but there we are. The Grim Reaper(死神) does not work to order.

I have known for many months that my condition would be a difficult one to beat; that the risks were substantial: a bit like, I can hear the wags(頑皮的人) say, a bit like the chances of an acquittal from Mackintosh in the District Court.

Thank you for coming today.

Thank you for all your support and prayers during my illness.


I love you. 

Remember me. 

Goodbye


Colin

4 則留言:

  1. I will remember His Honour before whom I have had the privilege to appear for my very first Magistracy Appeal.

    He is sorely missed.

    回覆刪除
  2. Colin was such a charismatic good bloke. Never heard anyone say anything bad at his back.

    回覆刪除
  3. He is a good judge but his private life is not without blemishes. But men have a soft spot, as many of his expatriate colleagues, who had formed a too close relationship with their female staff.

    回覆刪除